Holy Alpha Gal Horrors! Served Beef Enchilada By Mistake!

9:15 PM

Went to our favorite Mexican restaurant today. It's been a very stressful week running up and down the highway between my house and daughter's house -- she lives 65 miles away. I have a little Cottage there that she has decided to move into so I've been moving out stuff I had stored in it and helping daughter clean it up. Had the water turned out only to find out it has a water line break that has to be repaired. Plumber can't come until mid-week. Sigh...

On top of all that stress, the window on the driver's side broke a cable and fell down in the door. The passenger side window had already done the same and was pulled up and shimmed in place pending getting a new door mechanism to fix it. We salvaged one from an old van of my mother's but it got broken before installation and after all the trouble of putting it in place, it didn't work. So, this week, Mom and brothers found a place to salvage parts for both doors and I went to brother's house to have them installed. Took about 3 hours to do and it was a nice visit. And I was so happy to have both windows operating -- that is very important when your air conditioner doesn't work. It's an old van -- 1997, so what can I say? I've been eyeballing those *red neck coolers* where you use a styrofoam ice chest, a frozen milk bottle and a battery operated fan but I haven't put that into practice yet.

Back on point of this post, I wanted *comfort food* and for me, that is food at our favorite Mexican Restaurant. I've always loved chicken and cheese and rarely ate beef so being diagnosed with Alpha Gal Allergy didn't disrupt my patronage or food choices there. However, I did decide to get something other than my usual chicken dishes -- I went for a plate with a Chile relleno and a cheese enchilada -- or so I thought.

The food came and I was ready for it and dived right in. I snagged a fork full, was talking to hubs and poked it my mouth. It was delicious and as I chewed, I realized it wasn't just cheese -- it had BEEF in it! I immediately pulled the enchilada open and sure enough, it was a beef enchilada full of cheese sauce. I called the waitress over and explained to her that I can't have beef and that it was supposed to be cheese. She apologized and said she would bring me it to me right away. In a matter of minutes she reappeared all apologetic again and placed before me another enchilada...but it wasn't cheese either! Thankfully, it was chicken so I ate it. The rest of my meal went off without incident.

It has been six hours now since that fateful accidental bite of beef and so far so good. I think I am going to skate through this round without incident. I hope I don't end up eating those words.

Good night all. Looking forward to an Alpha-Gal-Licious day tomorrow. I'm thinking beans and cornbread with a slice of onion....

Eyeballing the recipe on this blog post -- only mine will be minus the bacon...sigh.....


You Might Also Like

0 comments

About me


I'm a semi-retired grandmother of two afflicted with Alpha-Gal. This blog documents the adventures of my journey to health and wellness since diagnosis. For more about me, see My Alpha Gal Story.

Like us on Facebook

...